05 Feb 2014
For
over four decades, I was an early riser who didn't need an alarm to prod him
awake and I can vouch that my arm never shot out to quell the snooze button.
But after my retirement more than a year ago, my wife suggested that I had no
reason to get up that early. She had a point, but old habits die
hard. However with much mental re-conditioning, I got used to the
new rhythm and discovered the joys of waking up as late as 7 am.
Many may dread retirement - especially if you were into high profile,
high-stress banking - but I loved my retired life. Life is blissful!
Perhaps, my resolution to read all those books I had
collected over many years was not carried out in the right earnest. But I
loved the long drives on the much improved but still potholed roads of Kerala -
through the woods, along the beaches, amidst the mountains and through the
narrow driveways with backwaters on either side. The rains provided relief from
the moderately high temperatures and humidity. We enjoyed the early morning
movies in the newly sprung up malls. We started enjoying some of the classical
music concerts in the Fine Arts Hall and the light music events at Changampuzha
Park besides the painting exhibitions at the Durbar Hall and yes, the Kochin
Musiris Biennale. The delicious meals at Frys Village Restaurant, poori masalas
and omelets at the Indian Coffee House and the seafood delicacies in Oceanos at
Fort Kochi kept us going on all cylinders. At that
point, when you digging into a fluffy parotta and egg roast, you feel as if you
are the king of the world.
There were
hardships too. The visits to the Akshaya Seva Kendras for getting Aadhaar cards
and the indefinite wait on the hard wooden benches was a painful,
frustrating exercise. But it was a minor blip when compared to the visits
to the village office to get a residency certificate or a possession
certificate or even pay land taxes you are expected to pay. There were not even
hard wooden benches; one had to wait behind a small crowd in front of each
table till the man or woman behind the table noticed you and decided to attend
to you rather than the crowd. There were multitude of reasons why your request
cannot be granted - You should have brought the original for verification; you
need to affix a court fee stamp etc. etc. This basically meant getting the originals or
affixing the stamp and be back behind the crowd. Who said life was ever going
to deal a fair hand?
Having
said that, I do not know whether it was my salt and pepper hair (but I am
no George Clooney) or my wrinkle-free attire (I am no
Mammootty) or a gracious woman (invariably it was my wife and no one else,
I swear) on my arm which was a catalyst. I felt one of these elements were a
factor in moving things along or did my threshold for
patience amplify after retirement?
I could deal with
these bumps on the road, but what I couldn't get over were the people I
encountered. In all honesty, I am not being racist here, but I want to
get it off my chest. I have a problem with Malayalis and the way
they treat each other. It's no fun to watch. They prefer
talking to you without looking at you. Be it the clerk at the village office or
the salesman in the grocery shop they would prefer to say NO and may even
indulge in a monologue on why they cannot do what I had requested for. They
make no effort to tell me what I should do to get my work done and prefer
directing me to the man at the next table or to the next shop. Over the
eighteen months in Kerala, I also learnt to be wary of all those who seem
to "really care for you". They would knock at your door the next day
for a loan of a few hundred rupees. The best way to deal with that is to
loan them the money and forget about getting it back. Who said life wasn't
easy?
The most detestable
part was the domination of politics in Kerala. Every electric post is adorned
with the flux boards of at least one politician with folded hands and flashing
a corny grin. There are boards of temple festivals, church perunaals,
uroos makahms, god-men and god-women offering instant nirvana,
beauty saloons and computer institutes, forthcoming niraaharams and
road blocking strikes. The traffic rules are no hindrance for the men who erect
such boards and the policemen around possibly have better things to do. The
right wing wearing the white khadar mundu and shirt with a
newspaper tucked in their arm-pits talk about democracy and look for the next
man whom they can con into paying a few rupees to get things done. The Red is always
on war path killing someone who objects to the dictums of the district or state
committee. Fortunately the saffron brigade who also talk loud and clear is yet
to get a good base in Kerala. Processions, strikes, hartals, bandhs happen at
regular intervals and keep you indoors on at least two days in a month leaving
you to watch television. And the umpteen news channels quote almost everyone
and ask others to comment on it filling the airtime with worthless debates. Who
said life is a bed of roses?
Now
eighteen months into retirement someone wanted me to assist him and I have
started working again in Dubai. It was a difficult decision to make. How much I
yearned all the forty years to return to Kerala and spend a leisurely life
here?
The most unnerving thing is the time we stand to get noticed, in a government office. The amount of trash talk we carry back home, even after knowing that nothing could be done, would be the net asset. If you talk back, pointing out the rules or fault, your number is up and you're nowhere!
ReplyDelete